About the Train
Of all the luxury trains in India the Palace on Wheels is probably the best known, and along with the Orient Express is considered one of the top ten luxury trains in the world. However, the Palace on Wheels is more than just a luxury vehicle; it is like taking a step back in time to the bygone days of the Maharajah, with styling and service that is fit for a King. However, a luxurious interior isn't the only thing that puts the palace train in India's top three category, the train takes in some of the countries best known attractions making a train holiday in India the perfect way to explore the country.
The Palace on Wheels departs from the bustling capital of Delhi and travels overnight to Jaipur, the first stop on your Indian train holiday. Whilst in Jaipur you can explore the famous 'pink city' at your own pace, but be sure to take an elephant ride up to the famous Amber Fort, an experience that simply shouldn't be missed. The breathtaking Palace of the Winds is also located in the rose-hued city and as the wind blows through the many windows of the Palace creating a whistling sound akin to bird song, you will soon understand just how this building received its nickname.
After you've visited the stunning sites of Jaipur it's time to board your Indian train and journey overnight into the Great Indian Desert. When you awake in the morning you will have the option of visiting Jaisalmer's Sandstone Fort which towers over the Thar Desert, a name which literally translates to mean 'abode of the dead'. Jaisalmer is a traditional Rajasthani town and whilst here you can take part in traditional past-times from taking a camel ride over the imposing sand dunes to enjoying an evening meal at a typical Rajasthani restaurant, whilst folk musicians and dancers provide the evening's entertainment.
The next stop on your train holiday in India is the town of Jodhpur which is known as both the 'blue city' and the birthplace of the horse-riding leggings of the same name. The Mehrangarh Fort is the area's best-known monument and also one of the largest forts in the whole of India. Battle scars of the building can be easily observed, as can the Fatthepol, a victory gate built to commemorate the defeat of the Mughals. In this area you can also view cenotaphs of the past rulers of the area.
The Palace on Wheels train then journey's to India's Rathambhore National Park where you can take a tiger safari with the hope of finding one of the area's elusive Bengal tigers. If you aren't lucky enough to spot one of these beautiful big cats then don't worry as the area also has plenty of other wildlife for you to spot from cheetals and antelopes, to crocodiles blissfully lazing next to a watering hole.
After three subsequent stops in Chittaurgarh, Udaipur and Bharatpur, your train journey's to India's most well-known landmark and one of the Seven Wonders of the World: The Taj Mahal. Visiting the Taj Mahal is a once in a life-time experience and makes for an incredible end to your train journey in India.
Super Deluxe Saloon - The Bravura Suite
Your princely saloon offers a spacious living with complete comfort of royal suite. The exquisite silk and velvet bedspreads and draperies take you to the era of munificent living. The finely carved wooden furniture in the super-deluxe suite adds to your experience. The bed in the cabin is large and comfortable with color-coordinated draperies. The ottoman, sofa-chairs and writing table have been provided to make your stay more comfortable. The suites have been named after the two precious stones, Emerald and Diamond.
Deluxe Saloon - The Extraordinary Suite
elcome to your exquisite saloon, the personal imperial chamber. The saloon has been designed to live up to the grandeur of contemporary princely living with elegant silk furnishings for a befitting aesthetic appeal. These saloons have been thematically designed with coordinated color schemes and textures to augment their splendor. Your chamber offers luxuries with meticulously chosen bedding and upholstery, writing-table and chair to make your stay more comfortable. Your furnished saloon gives you sufficient mobility within the coupe. The saloons have been created in three different themes in hues of exquisite jewels, Ruby, Sapphire and Pearl.
Dining and Cuisines
A delicious meal, presented appetizingly and served with love is the perfect beginning and end of the day. And we serve it all. Sheesh Mahal and Swarn Mahal, the two Restro-Lounges on the Royal Train await you to savour the grand royal feast. Indulge in mouth-watering delicacies from Rajasthani, Indian, Continental and Chinese cuisines. Sheesh Mahal has been adorned with splendid floor lamps and crystal pelmets; the entire restro-lounge is made of wood and crystal. The Swarn Mahal has been planned around a theme of gold and brass. Dinning at both the restro-lounges will add to your pleasure. Amidst aesthetic splendor, feast on your delicious meal with customized hand-made cutlery and specially designed crockery.
Bar & Lounge
Accompany your sumptuous meals with finest wines and an array of international brands of liquor on the two restro-lounges Sheesh Mahal and Swarn Mahal on the Royal Train. The fully equipped bar on the train serves selected brands on Aperitif, Malt, Whisky, Scotch, Rum, Vodka, Cognac, Wines and Champagne. These premium delights have been put to serve your palette better.
The Royal Rajasthan on Wheels has souvenirs, to provide you with knickknacks and keepsakes that you would love to pick up. These include products and apparels specially designed to suit your interest like:
- Beer Mug
- Emboss Leather Jewellery Box
- Leather Photo Frame
- Cruet Set
- Old Paper Notebook with Train Painting
- T-shirt, Caps, etc.
- Hospitality – At Royal Rajasthan on Wheels, the gracious hospitality is bound to leave you speechless. Your experience at the regal train will be doubled by the warm welcome and the diligent service. The meticulously trained attendants, your Khidmatgars will serve you round the clock.
- Splendid Saloons – The 13 deluxe coaches have been rightly named after the famous palaces of Rajasthan. Namely, Hawa Mahal, Chandra Mahal, Surya Mahal, Moti Mahal, Sukh Mahal, Jal Mahal, Padmini Mahal, Kishori Mahal, Phool Mahal, Jogi Mahal, Kumbha Palace, Umaid Palace, Lalgarh Palace. The Super-Deluxe coach is Taj Mahal.
- Royal Rajasthan on Wheels is a no smoking train.
- The Royal train is Wi-Fi enabled.*
- The windows in the Royal Train are the largest in any train running on tracks in India and have been made especially for enjoying the visual treat on your royal escapade.
- The super deluxe saloons have an individual temperature control facility.
- Channel music system and public address system.
- Get engrossed with a range of board-games and a variety of books on the train.
- Various national dailies and magazines are available aboard.
- Laundry service is available on board to serve you better.
- A separate safe is provided in your cabin to store your valuables.
- 110/120 V sockets in Train.
- Mailbox is provided on board.
- Foreign exchange counters are available at hotel counters.
- Transport – For a comfortable sightseeing experience, Royal Rajasthan on Wheels will provide modified Volvo buses for the passengers in deluxe saloons and cars for passengers in super-deluxe saloon.